Yesterday I stumbled across The Shabby Tea Room that posted their first challenge based on this picture.
The challenge is to create a project with the colours pink, cream, red, green and brown. When I first read the challenge I thought, that colour scheme is way out there for me and I've never dabbled into the vintage style before. After staring at the picture for a bit, I figured why not? Perhaps forcing myself to step out of my "style" zone will be a good thing. So I went methodically through everything in my art room and plunked everything I had in those colours on my work desk. I discovered I had papers I didn't even know I had!
I really didn't want to make a card, but wasn't to sure what else to make. I dug through my goodie basket, which is basically little gifts my Stampin' Up! demonstrators have given me and inspiration struck. One of the gifts was a little folded sachet to hold a tea bag, and I figured you couldn't get much better than that, with a blog that's named the Shabby Tea Room! So 3 or 4 hours later my little Victorian-ish Red Rose tea bag holder was born. And the part that amazed me the most, is me being a die hard stamper, I never used one stamp image on the entire project! :)
This is what the front of it looks like. I found this project so much fun and I learned quite a bit as well. In the wee hours of the morning I figured out how to make a rose out of paper and how to make a ruffle out of organdy ribbon. I think I will be buying a quilling tool the next time I attempt to make more paper flowers.
Here is a close up of the rose. I used two-sided designer paper so it has varying shades of the red colour in it. I inked the edges of the petals with red ink and then applied a smidgen of glue to make the glitter stick. I sewed the ruffle into a circle and stitched the flower into the center and then added the leaves after. About an hour into all the stitching I decided I'm definitely going to be asking for a sewing machine for my birthday! I also found that the groove in my trimmer came in handy for making the lines in the leaves.
This is what the back looks like. The button is a half pearl form Stampin' Up! glued on with a piece of velcro on the underside to keep the flap closed. I've noticed that my camera didn't really like the colour of this project as the main paper looks more white than cream, but it is definitely cream. The embossed pattern is the Damask texture plate for the Big Shot and I sponged Chocolate Chip ink over the pattern and along the edges to give it a somewhat aged look.
And finally the inside of the tea bag holder. A little poem on the top flap and the tea bag within a small ziploc bag in the bottom half. Thanks for looking and have a great day!
Tea Time Tea Holder
(All supplies Stampin' Up!)
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Celery, Pretty in Pink
Designer Paper: Sweetheart, Prints Pack (Real Red)
Half Pearls: Pretties Kit (Cream)
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Real Red
Ribbon: Organdy (Ivory), Grosgrain (Certainly Celery)
Glitter: Dazzling Diamonds
Punch: Scallop Trim Border
Other: Swarovski Cream Pearls, Computer Font (Brock Script), Pink Thread, Damask Texture Plate for Big Shot, Terrifically Tacky Tape, Velcro