Thursday, August 26, 2010

PDCC44 - Horribilis Colour Challenge

I can't believe I've actually finished the challenge on the day it came out lol and what a doozy the challenge is this week! It has been dubbed the "Horribilis Challenge" because of the unique colour combo. Here's the picture you'll find over at the Play Date Cafe:


Yes...that's right, navy blue, hot pink and MUSTARD! Having just read the latest PaperCrafts magazine I remembered a little tidbit from the colour challenge and ironically the colours in the challenge in the magazine weren't that far off from these colours. Anyways, the key piece of info was, when mixing bold colours, you should treat it like a paint combo (gallon, quart and pint) for the most pleasing visual effect. So I applied this formula to this...umm..unique colour combo and came up with this:


I chose my least favorite colour out of the three and used that as my "pint". The mustard circle has the flowers from the "Upsy Daisy" stamp set by Stampin' Up! stamped in Navy ink and then embossed with clear embossing powder. This was definitely an odd colour combo to work with for me, but it's starting to grow on me :)

Birthday Unique Colour Combo Card

Cardstock: (Melon Mambo, More Mustard, Night of Navy) Stampin' Up!
Ink: (Night of Navy, More Mustard) Stampin' Up!
Ribbon: (Grosgrain Melon Mambo) Stampin' Up!
Embossing Powder: (Clear) Stampin' Up!
Rhinestone Stickers: (Hot Pink) Me & My Big Ideas
Stamps: (Upsy Daisy) Stampin' Up!
Other: (Harlequin Texture Plate) Sizzix

Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your "unique" colour combo :)

11 comments:

  1. Sweet idea to put the flowers in the circle and pop that color. Lovely design! Glad you decided to join us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever. You've totally inspired me so now I have to go rework my own card! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It grew on me also when I took the colours out from my cardstock. Love what you have done and the embossed background looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great take on the color combination, Julie! Thanks for playing with the Play Date Cafe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE how you embossed the flowers in the mustard circle! And who can go wrong with those FAB jewels! Great take with hard to create with colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! The flowers look great on your focal mustard piece! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS is wonderful! It is as if someone turned a spotlight on your magnificent stamping! I adore your use of texture and BLING{!} and how WONDERFULLY you showcased these unexpected color "friends!" hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! I love how you've accented the embossing with the gems, lovely! Thanks for sharing the idea for the balance of a colour combo, I've not heard of that one! Thanks for playing along with us at the PDCC this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab tip for combining colours! And it really works :) Like Ruby I love your 'bling' on your embossing. These colours have really made this week's play date the biggest challenge yet I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely LOVE what you did with these colors and all the bling to boot! Great to have you play with us again in The Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you tied your bow--that is so clever and beautiful:) Love those gems too--you rocked this challenge:) Thanks for joining in the fun and playing along with us at the PDCC:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...