Tuesday, November 2, 2010

PDCC53 with Sarah Anderson

Another post for today for the awesome Play Date Cafe challenge. This week it was another colour splash using black and white with a splash of burgundy. I liked this colour combo so much I made two cards. Here is what the inspirational photo looks like:


Ever buy a piece of paper that you just can't cut up because it's too pretty? That was the case with this particular piece of paper I used for my card. I had bought this 1 sheet of paper eight years ago at a scrapbooking store that has long since shut down and I really, really liked it, but couldn't bring myself to cut it up. However, when this splash of burgundy challenge came up, I automatically thought of this beautiful piece of paper. Here is my card with that "special" piece of paper :)


I used the sketch by Kim Kesti for this card from the Go-to-Sketches magazine, which you can find on pg.83. The burgundy paper is either velvet or suede or something, all I know is that it feels really nice lol. The ribbon is black satin from Stampin' Up! as well as the rub-on. I made the stick pins using corsage pins, Swarovski crystals and some other black beads.


The top crystals right after the pearl are actually garnet in colour, but they're so dark that they look black in the picture. If you hold them in the right light they reflect a colour pretty near the same as the paper.

For my second card I went back to stamping. I decided it was time I made my first sympathy card, well I guess it could be a "letting you know I care" card too. For the past couple of years I've collected oodles of sympathy stamps and have never used them. I also had a strong urge to use trees today, so that's what I stamped :)


For the background on this card I embossed a damask pattern on whisper white cardstock and then used the top note die to cut it.  I was going to ink the embossing folder first (for a letterpress look), but it didn't look right so I brayed black ink over the raised image instead. For my focal image, I stamped the tree from the "Branch Out" stamp set from Stampin' Up! and used bravo burgundy for the leaves. I finished off this card with black satin ribbon as well.

Love You Card

Cardstock: (Basic Black, Whisper White) Stampin' Up!
Patterned Paper: Unknown source
Rub-on: Stampin' Up!
Ribbon: (Basic Black Satin) Stampin' Up!
Corsage Pins: Modern Romance
Other: Swarovski crystals, black beads


Praying for You Card

Cardstock: (Basic Black, Whisper White) Stampin' Up!
Stamps: (Branch Out, Thoughts & Prayers) Stampin' Up!
Ink: (Basic Black, Bravo Burgundy) Stampin' Up!
Ribbon: (Basic Black Satin) Stampin' Up!
Die: (Top Note) Stampin' Up!
Embossing Folder: Cuttlebug

Thanks for stopping by and happy card making!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards and a story that both Sarah and I can relate to...when she came to the US to visit me, we both spent an afternoon at The Paper Source and we both came back with paper that to this day (and that was nearly 10 yrs ago) that we both still have!
    So glad to have you play with us again in The Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cards! The "special" paper looks wonderful with the added stick pins! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza, these are FAB! That top card is absolutely stunning in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are stunning and stylish. The first card is amazing with the fancy burgundy fabric-look paper and those gorgeous crystal pins and the second one is perfect with a clever touch of burgundy for the leaves. I love the way you brayered ink over the raised embossing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...