Tuesday, November 9, 2010

PDCC54 with Julie Ranae

A Tuesday would just not be complete without playing the latest challenge over at the Play Date Cafe. The inspirational photo is beautiful and you MUST go check out the fabulous entries over there, gorgeous stuff! Here is what the photo looks like:


I was trying to match the colours to my current Stampin' Up! cardstock stash and couldn't decide if it was closer to Pear Pizzazz/Peach Parfait or Groovy Guava/Certainly Celery. The Groovy Guave combo won because I had more "stuff" in those colours. This week I wanted to make something other than a card, plus I've been thinking about Christmas gifts AND I've been trying to use up items that have been kicking around my art room forever lol. I was thinking about my daughter's school photos (which I hope are going to be back before Christmas), which made me think about all those wallet size photos I always have left over. That's when the light bulb flicked on :)
So, with 4x4 chipboard coasters as my working surface, my colour combo and one of many wallet size photos of my daughter, I came up with this:


A fridge magnet! I decided this would be a great little Christmas gift for the grandparents,with a current photo of course. This was her grade 5 photo and now I'm wondering where did the last three years go??!! For this project I first cut white cardstock to match the size of the coaster. For the background I stamped up a script image first with versamark and then with certainly celery. After I stamped it, I embossed the lettering with clear embossing powder. Next a sponged groovy guava over the left side towards the center and along the edges, I used a damp cloth to remove any ink off the embossed sections. I stamped another image over top along the left hand side, which is partially covered by the green ribbon. I used the same method on the flower as the background, versamark, groovy guava ink and then embossed with the clear embossing powder. The rhinestones and pearls are stickers. The tricky part was the ribbon edging. For this I stuck a strip of tacky tape along all four edges on the backside. Then I used white organza ribbon and made ruffles along the edge trying to keep it as even as possible. To make it really stick, I took another coaster and tacky taped it over top of the ribbon so it was sandwiched in between. The back coaster is covered with a patterned paper in groovy guava. The final step is to just adhere two strips of magnetic tape to the back.
Here's a closeup of the flower and flourishes:


Wallet Photo Fridge Magnet (All supplies Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted)

Cardstock: Whisper White
Patterned Paper: Ginger Blossoms
Stamps: French Script, Vintage Vogue
Stickers: (Rhinestones) Me & My Big Ideas, (Basic Pearls) Stampin' Up!
Ink: Certainly Celery, Basic Black & Groovy Guava
Ribbon: Certainly Celery Grosgrain, White Organza
Chipboard Coasters: Unknown source
Other: Tacky Tape, Pop dots

6 comments:

  1. What a great gift! This is a lovely frame and a gorgeous piccie of your daughter. Thanks for playing with us in the play date cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do as many dimensional projects and am always inspired by those who do...this is beautiful! So glad you could be with us again in The Cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful way to alter those chipboard coasters! Perfect holiday gifts! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super project! What a great idea to put this on your fridge so you can enjoy it all the time! Love the color fade, that gorgeous gem flourish and the wonderful script stamp! Thanks for joining us over at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fantastic idea! so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apologies for another retrospective comment. This is stunning. The colours could not be a better match, the idea is brilliant and the overall effect so pretty (love the script background and clever ribbon edge in particular). I hope you are going to use this or give it as a gift as it would be a shame not to have it on display.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...