Friday, November 12, 2010

PDCC55 with Sarah Anderson

The challenge at the Play Date Cafe is a very interesting colour scheme this week and I encourage everyone to give it a whirl. I was first intrigued, then excited, and then when I went to actually make something, I became a bit baffled. Here is what the inspirational photo looks like:


I could work the pale blue, pink and burgundy together, but the bright blue and red was throwing me off. I attacked this challenge from so many different angles and by 3 hours into it,  I was really wishing  I owned an outline stamp to colour in using this combo lol. So I went back to my tried and true paint recipe and picked two colours for my quart and gallon and used the rest of the colours as my pints :) Here is what I came up with:


I stamped the houndstooth butterfly on whisper white using the colours real red, bravo burgundy, pretty in pink and brilliant blue. Each butterfly has a head brad in the colour brilliant blue and the rest of the body consists of 2 clear rhinestones. I punched the butterflies out using the coordinating punch from Stampin' Up!. The card base is baja breeze and I penned 4 squares with dots on the card front with a basic black maker. The antennae were stamped in the center of each square using basic black and the butterflies were attached over top using foam squares. The alphabet strip is a rub-on and I just circled the letters h & i for the sentiment. To finish it off, the card was sponged with black ink along the edges and tied with a big polka dot red bow :)


Houndstooth Butterfly Card (all supplies from Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted)

Cardstock: Baja Breeze, Whisper White
Stamps: Butterfly Prints
Ink: Brilliant Blue, Bravo Burgundy, Pretty in Pink, Real Red & Basic Black
Rub-On: Alphabet from Take Note
Ribbon: Real Red Polka Dot Grosgrain
Brads: Brilliant Blue
Stickers: Basic Rhinestones
Other: Foam Dots, Glue Dots, Basic Black Pen

Thanks for stopping by and happy stamping!

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous design, Julie...I guess the 3 hours paid off... I had trouble with this challenge as well when I first saw it, but there's always a way and you've found it! Great job! Thanks for playing along with the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE,LOVE your card!!! It is so beautiful!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Julie! You cards are so very awesome - the perfect distraction! --Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab design, so glad you didn't give up! Love the colorful butterflies! Thanks for playing at the PDCC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the butterflies! You created a very pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really great.... you can't go wrong with butterflies and these are beautiful.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed the challenge this week, a proper 'challenge' I know but your butterflies are gorgeous, you really made the colours work. Thanks for playing with us in the Play Date Cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What a beautiful card--love those butterflies and how you highlighted the sentiment:) Thanks for playing along with us and joining in the fun over at the PDCC:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the PDC award for this wonderful card. I can't imagine a more perfect replication of the challenge colours and the overall design of the card is fabulous. I like your idea of using the rubon letters and marker to make the sentiment, very clever!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...