Monday, January 17, 2011

PDCC64 with Julie Ranae

Drum roll please....the new designers are here at the Play Date Cafe this week. I've been following quite a few of these designer's blogs since I started playing along with the Play Date Cafe and the items that they create are fantastic! The inspirational photo is beautiful this week, with a soft colour combo and a vintage feel, here's what the photo looks like:


My card style for the most part is generally clean and simple. Sometimes I'll bust out some bows here and there, but I seem to gravitate towards clean lines. For this challenge I stepped out of my card style comfort zone and tried the style that always stumps me...the shabby chic look. I'm always amazed at how people are able to pull this style off with ease and end up with something beautiful, especially with all those layers! So here is what I came up with:


I started with a card base in the colour Sahara Sand from Stampin' Up! and stamped the large medallion stamp in the same colour in the upper right hand corner. For the bottom border, I used Going Gray by Stampin' Up! and punched it with the scallop border. The other two layers are papers from the Cappella collection from Basic Grey. I used the caged bird die from Tim Holtz for the bird in the colour Baja Breeze, which I then stamped a baroque motif onto and sponged with the same colour ink.


The flower dies are from Tim Holtz as well and I stamped these with an art definition stamp from Hero Arts. Here is a close up of the flower and stick pins:


The center of the flower is a button from Papertrey Ink that I dressed up with some pearls. The stick pins are just dressmaker pins with a pearl on the end that I added some extra beads and pearls to. The tricky part for me was assembling the many different pieces so it actually looked half decent (I think that part took the longest).

Shabby Bird Card

Cardstock: (Going Gray, Sahara Sand, Baja Breeze) Stampin' Up!
Patterned Paper: (Cappella) Basic Grey
Ink: (Baja Breeze, Going Gray, Sahara Sand) Stampin' Up!
Stamps: (Medallion, Baroque Motifs) Stampin' Up!, (Art Definition) Hero Arts
Punch: (Lace Border, Scallop Border) Stampin' Up!
Dies: (Caged Bird, Tattered Florals) Tim Holtz
Button: (Holiday Mix) Papertrey Ink
Pearls: Martha Stewart Crafts, Stampin' Up!
Ribbon: (Beachfront) Stampin' Up!
Other: Stick pins, beads, pop dots

Thanks for stopping by and come play along this week at The Play Date Cafe!

14 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Julie!! Love the flower/pin and ribbon detail!!
    smiles,Deena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie this is delightful! You captured shabby chic beautifully! Well done :) Thanks for playing along at the PDCC this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the vintage look you created, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. Great minds think alike - I almost used that medallion stamp this week.
    Your card is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty it has a warming vintagey feel too!
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very gorgeous!!! Love all the layered goodness with beautiful paper, little pearls, the bird, flower and ribbon...so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'd say that you pulled this off marvelously well! I would have never known, looking at this card alone, that this is out of your comfort zone! It's awesome! PLEASE do this more often :) Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You NAILED the shabby chic. This is the most beautiful thing ever. All of the layers and embellishments are just stunning. Your card is a great addition to this week's gallery at the Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did an awesome job on this card! I love all the detail!

    ReplyDelete
  10. (insert gasp here) Julie! Wow! You rocked the shabby chic look! I know, me too, on leaning toward the clean and simple looks. I want to master a vintage look. And you have done that here - master it!

    Soooooo glad you played with us at THe Cafe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the stamp in the background, and all the layers with it :) Thanks so much for joining us at the play date cafe this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't believe this is NOT your usual style Julie!!! You fooled me :) WOW!! This shabby chic card is AMAZING!! Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie, this is fantastic! LOVE all your embellies, especially your bling and that sweet bird peeking out from behind your flower! Thanks so much for playing with us in the Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A stunning card! I LOVE how you've done the flower, it looks SO pretty. I often forget about stamping my own designs. Thanks for playing along with us at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...