Tuesday, March 8, 2011

PDCC71 - Color Splash Week

It's the most favorite challenge amongst the players over at the Play Date Cafe and this time we get to pick the "splash" of color. If you're not familiar with the Splash of Color challenge, you basically make a project that is black and white with just a splash, smidgen or dab of color. Here's the inspirational photo. Which color will you pick?


I've had a card in mind ever since I heard we got to pick the splash color and it's based on the new Martha Stewart Crafts punch I picked up last week. I've been thinking of Christmas cards and yes, I said CHRISTMAS lol ( I can just hear the girls at work groaning that I even uttered that word so early in the year). Here's what I made using the Birds on a Wire punch with a splash of red!


Of course it wouldn't be as simple as punching the birds out with just red. Nope, those little birdies had to be sitting on a black wire covered with a little bit of snow (and that's when the idea got more complicated). To achieve that look, I first punched a row of birdies in black and then a row in red. I cut the red birds from the wire and glued them over top of the black birds (pair of itty bitty sharp scissors will work wonders here). I figured the only way I was going to get snow on that wire was to put some white embossing powder on there. A versamark PEN would work quite well here, mine unfortunately had run dry, so I had to use my blender pen and dab it in the versamark every 3 seconds while trying to draw that little edge on the wire for the powder to stick. All said and done, the extra effort was worth it, I love my little red birdies. Finishing touch was a sentiment stamped in black and red.

Winter Wishes Card
Cardstock: (Whisper White, Basic Black, Real Red) Stampin' Up!
Punch: (Birds on a Wire) Martha Stewart Crafts
Stamps: (Holiday Button Bits) Papertrey Ink
Ink: (Basic Black, Real Red) Stampin' Up!; Versamark
Embossing Powder: (Winter White) Stampin' Up!
Embossing folder: (Dots) Stampin' Up!
Other: blender pen, foam mounts

Thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas :)
 Julie

18 comments:

  1. I just LoVe this...LOVE IT! Really creative 'splash' Julie....FAB!!!
    Can't wait to have you as our guest this week in The Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent splash card Julie! Love those little touches that make it so special :) thanks for joining us over at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, too, Julie! And all that extra effort to add snow to your wire was sooooo worth it! Thanks so much for playing along with us, this week, in The Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pure Wow factor! LOVE those birds on a line! Perfect splash and love the CAS design! So happy you came to splash with us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing.I absolutely love it.

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The extra effort certainly was worth it - this is a fantastic card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See? THis is why you'll be our Guest Designer, Julie! This is fabulous! THanks for joining us at the Cafe, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome card! Love the birds and the splash of color. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is PERFECT! I love that you thought to add snow to the line. You amaze me. :) Thanks so much for playing this week at The cAfe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW Julie!! See ya tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am such a bird lover and this is waaayyyy too cute. Love the snow-covered wire (emb. powder). Just a darling card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh this is just gorgeous, so simple but yet so fab! Thanks for joining in the fun over at the Play Date Cafe! Look forward to having you with us tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful card. love the simplicity of design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable card!! Love how you made the *snow* with the lil birdies! Congrats girly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. well deserved winner over at the PDCC! love its simplicity!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...