Monday, August 8, 2011

Moxie Fab World Challenge - Fanatical about Botanical

I had the Fanatical about Botanical Challenge over at Moxie fab World in the back of my mind since I first heard about it and like most things, I forgot about it until last night when my friend and teammate Karolyn Loncon posted on her blog about it. Of course knowing I wouldn't get a chance to make anything the next day, I found myself up until 2am last night making a card just for this challenge (once I get an idea stuck in my head I can't stop until it's done lol). I went with earthy tones for my card and stuck my toes out of my comfort zone a smidgen, just enough to try a little collage-y look , yet still tried to keep it somewhat CAS. Here is what I came up with:


I was quite pleased with the result. I'm usually a straight lines kinda gal, but this time I bent the rules a little and went a little crooked with my sentiment...well...I made the letters go up and down lol. I started with a card base in a nice rich brown and stamped skeleton leaves in the same color randomly over the background. For the next layer I cut some thin cork using my very first set of nestabilities, boy are those things ever slick! Here's a more side view of the card to show the depth:


For the top layer, I started off with a piece of patterned paper from the Botanical Gazette series from Stampin' Up! and used the next size down of the labels eight die to cut the shape. Then using Tim Holtz distress ink in peeled paint, I stamped a floral image from Stampin' Up's Just Believe set over top. If you look close you can also see some butterflies stamped lightly in the color antique linen as well. The edges were inked using an ink pad the same color as the card base. Here is a close up of the stamped image:


On the bottom half of the panel I wrapped linen thread numerous times and finsihed it off with a button matching in color to the card base. For the sentiment, I used a label maker and cut each letter individually apart and then stuck them down in an alternating up and down pattern. 


The panel was attached to the cork piece using foam mounts.
This was such a fun challenge and I urge you to pop on over to Moxie Fab World and check out all the great entries, there are so many fabulous ideas and if you have time, play along!

Thanks for stopping by and having a peek!
Julie

Botany Thank You Card 
(all supplies Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted)
Cardstock: Early Espresso
Patterned Paper: Botanical Gazette
Specialty Paper: Cork
Stamps: (Just Believe, Autumn) Stampin' Up!; (Butterfly) Martha Stewart Crafts
Fiber: Linen thread
Ink: (Early Espresso) Stampin' Up!; (Peeled Paint, Antique Linen) Tim Holtz Distress
Button: Early Espresso
Other: Foam Mounts

6 comments:

  1. it's beautiful. every element is perfect. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, this is ah-MAZING!! Love the cork panel, and the subtle watermark leaf stamping on the base. You did a fantastic job with this challenge - so glad you had time to fit it in. Sorry you missed out on sleep last night! LOL I'm the same way - once I get an idea in my head, I can't go to bed until it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME work, Julie!! Love the sentiment and use of cork board!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie! Thanks for linking this up to the Fanatical About Botanical challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the dark side...nesties...I practically have to hide them from myself to stop from using them on everything. I love the layers - the cork adds that yummy texture, and the button & twine combo is the perfect little embellie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super pretty! LOVE how you used your dies--I need to get some more! LOVE the cork and the beautiful flowers:) FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...