Thursday, August 4, 2011

Play Date Cafe Challenge #93 - A little slice of summer

The day has finally arrived when I can post from the 'other' side of the Play Date Cafe inspiration board. These past few months have been fantastic in regards to creative opportunities and I am completely awed by the amount of talent within each design team I'm on. Someone is always getting some kind of recognition, it's amazing! Well that's my little blurb, now let's move onto the fabby color story by our wonderful Color Story Coordintator, Jaclyn Miller.


Aren't these colors fab?? Don't they just scream summer?

Our fab sponsor this week is Pink Persimmon and one of our PDC designers, Denise January just so happens to be on their design team! A fab prize to be won, so be sure to check out all the details over at the Play Date Cafe.


Here is what I came up with for inspiration for this week...the watermelon really inspired me and at first I thought I didn't have anything remotely close to that citrus-y-green color, but alas I found a wee bit of cardstock in my scrap pile and made myself a watermelon! I even dug out rub-on letters that have been siting in a drawer since 2002! lol


I started off with a simple, square card base and added my layers. The red layer is stamped with a background stamp of dots in the same color as the cardstock. The 'hi" is chipboard letters painted with distress paint in the color picket white and the word 'sweetness' is some white rub-ons from Making Memories.
The funnest part of the card making process was that sweet little slice of watermelon and it is uber simple to make. All I did was cut a circle of pink and a circle of citrus-green slightly bigger than the pink. Then I just cut the circle in half and added three mini black brads for seeds. Here is a close up of the watermelon slice:


Now that you've seen my take on the challenge, I want to see YOURS! So hop on over to the Play Date Cafe and join in the fun, we'd love to see your amazing creations hanging in the gallery this week :)

Hi Sweetness Card
Cardstock: (Groovy Guava, Poppy Parade) Stampin' Up!; Doodlebug Designs
Stamp: (Itty Bitty Backgrounds) Stampin' Up!
Ink: (Poppy Parade) Stampin' Up!
Chipboard: Maya Road
Paint: (Picket Fence) Tim Holtz Distress
Rub-On: (Simply Stated) Making Memories
Brads: (mini black) Making Memories

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you over at the Play Date Cafe!
Julie



21 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to have you on board as our Private Blend Designer for this term, Julie!! We have loved having you as a player and your talent is a perfect fit to inspire our clean and graphic players!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! Watermelon is perfect for the challenge this week. Love your style - I'm a HUGE fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, I love the spotty background. Definitely a smiley card :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another cutie, Julie! Love your handmade watermelon. If only it were that easy to make one in the garden. ;) So glad to have you on board at last here at the Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a-dor-a-ble! Love the brad seeds :)
    I just found your blog through the MSS DT announcement, and I'm your newest follower - but I bet not for long. Your work is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a perfectly adorable and literal take on the color story! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those brads on that watermelon as the seeds are amazing! Such a pretty design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie,

    such a fab and fruity card, you've made a yummy watermelon and what a great idea to use brads for the seeds!
    I've become your follower for sure, such a great cards!

    Lins :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't these colors delish! Julie...I love your sweet little watermelie. Oh just love how you put this together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the watermelon, Julie. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie, your cards always make me smile. What a sweet image and sentiment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey neighbour! Thanks so much for visiting my lil NB blog. :) Your card is perfect. I love the font and crackle finish of the 'hi'. And, it seems so simple to use brads for the seeds, but I would NOT have thought of it! :) Perfect card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey my fellow Canuck!! LOVE this sweet sweet card!!! SO happy to have you on our team :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just delightful and very creative :) So glad to have you join the team!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is completely ADORABLE, Julie!! Just love the "seeds" on the watermelon, such a perfect touch. I'm so thrilled to be on the PDCC team with you, I cannot wait to see what you come up with each week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet card, Julie...a wonderful tribute to the fun of summer! Awesome take on the colors and fabulous design! What a beautiful card...I know we're going to see some major fabulousity from you...welcome to the team!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A gorgeous CAS card! It is just perfect for this challenge...LOVE IT!!! Take care!:-))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your watermelon and use of the colors! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How much fun is this!!! Great little CAS card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pleased to have you on the team with us Julie, I'm really looking forward to getting to know you! Love your card, especially the way you've done the seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Soooooooo in love with this card--LOVE your simplicity and that little watermelon! LOVE LOVE LOVE:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...