Monday, September 19, 2011

The Vertical Sketch Challenge with Moxie Fab World

There were four sketch challenges in celebration of  the new magazine Card Ideas for Paper Crafters by Paper Crafts over at Moxie Fab World. I would have loved to have played all four of them, but I had to pick one because that's all I had time for :) I went with the vertical sketch challenge because this is one of the sketches I had an idea for when the call for this magazine was out, but I never got around to it. Here is what the sketch looks like:


The first thing that popped in my head when I saw this sketch several months ago was icicles! I wasn't sure how I was going to put that idea onto paper until I looked at the products I won from a recent Paper Crafts Color Inspiration challenge. Here is what I created:



 As soon as I saw the sentiment "Baby it's cold outside", the song automatically popped into my head! I went with a CAS card with minimal layers. I first stamped the Vintage Music background stamp by Market Street Stamps on the card base and then stamped random snowflakes in the same color on a white piece and adhered that to the card base. The icicles were the fun part! To make them, I took a piece of acetate and drew an icicle design using crystal effects. Then I covered the design with two colors of minty green glitter and let it dry. Then I just cut out the icicle shape and stuck it over the top edge of the snowflake section using glue dots. Final touches were a stamped sentiment and some inking on the card edges. Here is a close up of the sparkly icicles:


Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out all the fab entries over at Moxie Fab World, there are a ton of great ideas!

Baby it's Cold
Cardstock: (Aqua Mist) Papertrey Ink; (Whisper White) Stampin' Up!
Stamps: (Vintage Music) Market Street Stamps; (Wonderland) Dear Lizzy + American Crafts; (Branch Out) Stampin' Up!
Ink: (Tuxedo Black) Memento; (Sage Shadow) Stampin' Up!
Glitter: (Aquamarine) Martha Stewart Crafts; (Mint) Stampendous
Other: acetate, crystal effects, glue dots




6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love this and all its sparkly goodness! Those cool colors are perfectly wintry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your take on this challenge! the icicles are so pretty. beautiful card :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! I love the glittery icicles what a cool idea! Literally! Absolutely gorgeous in these frosty tones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so pretty! Much nicer & more sparkly than the real thing...mosquitoes are nearly gone, so you know the real stuff is on its way soon. Yikes. I'll take your version any day!
    Love this take on the sketch - icicles were a genius idea for that banner element :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Julie! Thanks for linking this up to the Vertical Sketch Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, LOVE what you did with this sketch! The color is completely fabulous, and your glittery icicles are AMAZING! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...