Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hallowe'en CARDS Challenge

Next to Christmas, I would have to say that Hallowe'en is my next favorite holiday to make a card for. I just love the rich colors for Hallowe'en, especially purples and blacks and I LOVE a hauntingly full moon :) The challenge for this week over at the CARDS blog is to create a Hallowe'en card. Here is what I made using purple and black and a big full moon:


The best part I like about this card is that it is all one layer, so it's perfect for mailing. I started off with a piece of white cardstock and cut out a circle from a post it note for the moon. Once I had the moon in place, I brayered Rich Razzleberry ink starting from the top all the way down to the bottom. Then I brayered Elegant Eggplant over top part way down, not covering the Rich Razzleberry completely from the top. Using another post it note, I ripped a ground edge and stuck that over the bottom half of my brayered piece. Then I took the bare trees from the stamp set Lovely as a Tree and stamp the trees randomly in black, varying the heights. For the ground, I flipped the ripped post it note so it was covering the sky and then sponged black ink on the bottom. When the ground dried, I put the post it note back over the ground and sponged some elegant eggplant along the horizon line and using teh same ink color I sponged some clouds across the moon. The edges of the panel were sponged with black and I used a black zig writer marker to draw in the bats. Final touch was stamping the sentiment with white Staz On ink. The sentiment wasn't white enough for me so I went back over it with a white gel pen. Here is a close up of the spooky scene:


Thanks for stopping by and hope you have a spook-tacular day!

Spooky Nights Card
Cardstock: (Basic Black, Elegant Eggplant, Whisper White) Stampin' Up!
Stamps: (Hallowe'en Frights, Lovely as a Tree) Stampin' Up!
Ink: (Rich Razzleberry, Elegant Eggplant, Basic Black); White Staz On
Tools: brayer, sponge
Other: post it note, black zig writer marker, foam mounts

19 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Julie! This is the coolest card! I love the two shades of purple and the spooky scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, is this ever GORGEOUS, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? This is one of the most inspired cards I have ever seen! It looks like a photo. I am so knocked out by this card--amazing! And thank you so much for sharing your whole process to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one fabulous card!!! Just love the deep rich colors! It is truly an amazing card! I could stare at it for hours! Thanks so much for sharing how you made this card! Take care!!:-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh this is stunning! This is one technique I've never tried because I'm totally intimidated by gorgeous cards like yours. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! this is truly awesome, such gorgeous colours and neat stamping/inking :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, this is just amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had to pop by and tell you how much I LOVE this!! I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE THE CARD! Won't you PLEASE do a video and demonstrate??????

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, this is something special, and very dramatic. I love your choice of colours. I must give this a go. Love Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING! SO UNIQUE, SO CREATIVE, SO INSPIRING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love this card and would like to case it - hope that's OK. Your rich colours are just divine and thanks so much for sharing your technique too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy from IllinoisAugust 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM

    This definitely a WOW card!! Great job! I'll have to try this out! Thanks loads for great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this card...it is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice work with colors and shadows. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the card...that is gorgeous and just the right amount of creepy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...