Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Card Crunch

It's December 13th and Christmas is only 12 days away and you still have a WHOLE bunch of Christmas cards to make and SO little time! Well, today you're in luck, because I have a super easy way to dole out card after card with just a few supplies and a fun technique. If you missed yesterday's post about masking, you should check out DoBea's tutorial here for some great masking tips and tricks.

This is what you'll need to make your cards:
* post it notes
* xacto knife
* ruler
* marker
* white cardstock
* background stamps/sentiment stamp
* ink

The technique I'm going to show you today is how to mask with your background stamps. To make your mask, take a post it note and using the ruler draw a simple triangle (tree) and a trunk. Cut the shape out using your xacto knife. This is what you should end up with:


Stick your mask to your card front (I tried to center mine as close as possible) then stick post it notes around the edge to cover the rest of the card front. This is what it will look like:


Now for the stamping part, I left my background stamp on that clear piece of acetate because I first tried stamping with a block, but I found I couldn't apply pressure in the right areas to get inside the mask. By using just the acetate sheet you can press harder with your fingers in the area where your mask is. Another trick is to make sure a piece of the design lands in each corner of the triangle, that way your image outline is better defined. If you look at the image below, you can see that a piece of the image Flurries fills up each corner of the tree.


Once you've stamped over your mask, remove the post it notes. If you leave all the post it notes stuck together you can just lay this over your next card and stamp again. You can probably stamp about 15-20 times over the post it note mask before it starts to bleed through. You could also double mask your tree image using two different background stamps. The card on the left I stamped the tree with Flurries and the trunk with Mesh


Give some of the other background stamps a try. For these cards I used Vintage Wallpaper and stamped one with the design vertical and the other horizontal. 


I find background stamps that are 'busy' or that have very little empty space in between images are the best ones to use with masks. To top it off I paired each tree with a sentiment from the Essential Holiday Elegance set which are perfect for cards :) I ended up making five cards in just under 10 minutes, I'd say that's pretty good for a holiday card crunch. 
Thanks for stopping by today!

3 comments:

  1. I love this...great technique...thanks for sharing.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these are just visually stunning!!! Gonna try this with hearts for Valentine's--thanks for the awesome idea--they're beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...